This article may contain affiliate links. For full information, please see our disclaimer page
Recommended Anti Theft Travel Items
- 1 Recommended Anti Theft Travel Items
- 1.1 What features should good Anti-Theft Travel Items have?
- 1.2 Bags and Totes
- 1.3 Bobby Hero Anti-Theft Backpack
- 1.4 Packsafe Metrosafe LS350
- 1.5 Travelon: Anti-Theft Slim Backpack
- 1.6 Pacsafe Venturesafe
- 1.7 Wallets, Purses & Travel Document Holders
- 1.8 Pacsafe V100 Anti-Theft Wallet
- 1.9 Lewis N. Clark RFID Neck Wallet
- 1.10 Luggage Locks & Straps
- 1.11 Travel Combination Luggage Locks
- 1.12 Travelkin Cross Luggage Straps
- 1.13 Luggage Trackers
- 1.14 GEGO Global Tracker
- 1.15 Tile Pro
- 1.16 Dynotag Smart Luggage ID Tag
- 1.17 LugLoc Luggage Tracker
- 1.18 Anti Theft Camera Bags & Straps
- 1.19 Pacsafe Camsafe
- 1.20 Pacsafe Carrysafe Anti-Theft Camera Strap
- 1.21 Travel Insurance.
- 1.22 Cruise Travel Insurance
So we all know there are practical things we can do to not only keep ourselves safe when travelling but also keep our precious belongings secure too. Obviously, some locations are safer than others but one should always maintain a degree of alertness when you are somewhere unfamiliar. We hope our guide to some of the recommended Anti-Theft Travel accessories and items such as an Anti Theft Backpack will help you.
The first rule of safe travel is to research where you are going or where you are travelling. Other important tips are
- Don’t flash your wealth
- Keep your belongings safe and secure
- Get travel insurance
- Have emergency contact information to hand
- Keep copies of important documents such as your passport
- Beware of scammers. If at all possible avoid ATM’s and withdraw any money inside the bank.
We are travelling more than ever before. We are also travelling with more hi-tech equipment than ever before. Most of today’s smartphones will set you back close to £1000 if not more. Camera’s and iPads are also very portable and easy to take on holiday.
What features should good Anti-Theft Travel Items have?
When it comes to bags to travel with, whether it be a dedicated anti-theft bag for travel or for everyday use, look for the following features to ensure you get the best theft-proof bag on the market
- Slash-proof straps which prevent thieves from cutting the straps
- Adjustable straps allow the bag to be worn cross-body not over one shoulder for greater security.
- Anti Slash Fabric/panels – prevents thieves from slashing the bag and taking its contents.
- Locking compartments and straps – protect from pickpockets and grab & go thieves.
- RFID blocking card and passport slots – block scanners from electronic pickpockets.
- Locking hardware for securing to immovable objects.
While it may seem we have to be more careful than ever, that doesn’t mean we have to take indiscrete, ugly anti-theft travel gear with you on holiday any more. Designers and manufacturers have really stepped up with innovative new materials, designs and ideas for things that are more stylish, trendy and above all safe. The idea is to blend in…not stand out as a tourist.
Bags and Totes
These all come in a variety of shapes, designs and styles so choosing the best one for your purposes can be tricky. If you are flying to reach your cruise ship bear in mind your luggage allowance and perhaps select items that are lightweight and can be packed flat. If it can double as your carry on then that’s even better.
Bobby Hero Anti-Theft Backpack
This Eco-Friendly Backpack, Sustainably Made using Recycled Plastic Bottles, is Water Repellent and Cut Resistant on the front and sides
Travelon: Anti-Theft Slim Backpack
Full Anti-Theft features include surround slash-resistant body panels and shoulder straps; locking compartments; RFID blocking card and passport slots and pockets sides
Wallets, Purses & Travel Document Holders
Whether you’re travelling for business or leisure, keeping track of your passport, plane tickets, credit cards & coins can be a pain. Here we look at some of the best accessories to keep them safe and all in one place.
Modern payment cards have a built-in chip that transmits the cards’ information wirelessly. This is because it is necessary in order to enable contactless payments, which has become increasingly popular during recent years. Criminals can take advantage of this technology by using a scanner that wirelessly scans the victim’s payment card in the same way that a cash register scans it.
RFID Blocking materials
There are several products you can buy which will prevent your credit cards from being skimmed. There are RFID blocking wallets, purses, sleeves, and cards. Wallets, purses and sleeves work by acting as a Faraday cage that creates a screen around your cards which stops electromagnetic fields from interacting with the cards.
Pacsafe V100 Anti-Theft Wallet
RFID Blocking Material helps protect against identity and credit card hacker scanning. With hard-to-cut, wire-reinforced webbing strap that can be worn around the wrist or secured to a belt loop to help prevent pickpockets.
Luggage Locks & Straps
- When choosing travel padlocks always look for TSA Approved Locks. This means locks do not have to be cut open to facilitate random airport screenings.
- Opt for padlocks with combination locks as opposed to locks with keys. You won’t have to worry about lost keys and can reset combinations at any time.
- Bright coloured lockable luggage straps are not only perfect for the additional security of the contents of your bag but also make your bag easily identifiable. It not only ensures you collect the correct bag, but it also acts as an additional deterrent for bag thieves at the baggage carousel.
They are a great addition to your Anti Theft Travel Accessories list.
Travel Combination Luggage Locks
All TravelMore retractable travel locks are 100% travel sentry certified and designed from the ground up to be the strongest and reliable luggage locks on the market.
In the super techno world, we now live in it’s possible to keep track of your luggage yourself using dedicated electronic luggage trackers. They work in 2 main ways and usually mean downloading an app to your mobile device:
- GSM trackers use mobile towers to locate the device, so are not super accurate.
- GPS trackers are far more accurate but it depends on the software and tech involved.
GEGO Global Tracker
GEGO tracks in real-time everywhere in the world! Global tracing technology tracks your luggage, travel baggage, briefcase, carry-on bags, purses much better than GPS.
Dynotag Smart Luggage ID Tag
Lifelong protection for loved ones and valuable gear! Securely sets up in a minute, protects for life! You’ll wonder how you lived without it!
Anti Theft Camera Bags & Straps
Cameras can be very expensive and not only that they often contain within them some of our most precious travel memories on SD Cards. It’s always a good idea to download and back those up each day if you can. So keeping them safe is very important.
I can’t stress often enough the importance of travel insurance should the very worst happen and your camera gets stolen or lost. A good idea is to keep a note of your equipments serial numbers. Handy if you ever have to complete a police report for insurance purposes or identify gear as yours if found by police.
Replace any branded camera straps with a plain anti-theft strap. That way it doesn’t scream out ‘expensive’. The same for camera bags.
Never leave a camera sitting alone on a table for example. Put it away or keep it tethered to yourself or the table/chair leg perhaps
Lightweight, compact camera bag with anti-theft features that fits a small to mid-sized DSLR camera and extra lens. eXomesh Slashguard stainless steel wire mesh embedded into front panel fabric helps protect against slash & run theft. Adjustable wire-reinforced Carrysafe Slashguard strap helps prevent cut & run theft; Turn & Lock security hook attaches strap to secure fixture
Pacsafe Carrysafe Anti-Theft Camera Strap
Anti-theft camera strap with that fits most DSLRs with dual side attachment points. Wire-reinforced Carrysafe Slashguard strap helps prevent cut-and-run the. Turn & Lock security hooks enable you to attach strap to a secure fixture to help prevent grab-and-run theft. Non-slip, comfortable, and adjustable neck pad
As stated above the best way to avoid becoming a victim of theft while you travel is to take practical precautions and always be vigilant. However, good travel insurance is a must. See our separate article on cruise travel insurance here.
If you do find yourself a victim of theft at least you know with travel insurance, you will be covered. Just always make sure you get a police report and keep any receipts for any out of pocket expenses incurred as a result of an incident while travelling. If your luggage is lost in transit there is some useful information in this article.
We can highly recommend Just Travel Cover for your travel Insurance Needs.
Some of the benefits of using them are:
- No age limit on single trip policies
- Annual policies and cruise cover available (additional benefits for cruises)
- They compare a range of insurers providing quality cover with high limits (these include AXA, AIG and specialist medical underwriters). We like to think of this as a mini comparison site offering high-quality travel insurance for people of any age and with any medical condition
- Specialists in pre-existing medical conditions
- Five star rated schemes/cover
- 24/7 English speaking assistance when overseas
- 95% of clients would recommend Just Travel Cover having left a 4/5 star review.