This article may contain affiliate links. For full information, please see our disclaimer page
Anti Theft Travel Accessories. Why do we need it?
So we all know there are practical things we can do to not only keep ourselves safe when travelling but also keep our precious belongings secure too. Obviously some locations are safer than others but one should always maintain a degree of alertness when you are somewhere unfamiliar. We hope our guide to some of the best Anti Theft Travel Accessories such as an Anti Theft Backpack will help you.
The first rule of safe travel is to research where you are going or where you are travelling. Other important tips are
- Don't flash your wealth
- Keep your belongings safe and secure
- Get travel insurance
- Have emergency contact information to hand
- Keep copies of important documents such as your passport
- Beware of scammers. If at all possible avoid ATM's and withdraw any money inside the bank.
We are travelling more than ever before. We are also travelling with more hi-tech equipment than ever before. Most of today's smartphones will set you back close to £1000 if not more. Camera's and iPads are also very portable and easy to take on holiday.
What features should good Anti Theft Travel Accessories have?
When it comes to bags to travel with, whether it be a dedicated anti-theft bag for travel or for everyday use, look for the following features to ensure you get the best theft-proof bag on the market
- Slash-proof straps which prevent thieves from cutting the straps
- Adjustable straps allow the bag to be worn cross-body not over one shoulder for greater security.
- Anti Slash Fabric/panels – prevents thieves from slashing the bag and taking its contents.
- Locking compartments and straps – protect from pickpockets and grab & go thieves.
- RFID blocking card and passport slots – block scanners from electronic pickpockets.
- Locking hardware for securing to immovable objects.
While it may seem we have to be more careful than ever, that doesn’t mean we have to take indiscrete, ugly anti-theft travel gear with you on holiday any more. Designers and manufacturers have really stepped up with innovative new materials, designs and ideas for things that are more stylish, trendy and above all safe. The idea is to blend in...not stand out as a tourist.
Bags and Totes
These all come in a variety of shapes, designs and styles so choosing the best one for your purposes can be tricky. If you are flying to reach your cruise ship bear in mind your luggage allowance and perhaps select items that are lightweight and can be packed flat. If it can double as your carry on then that's even better.
Pacsafe are one of the most well-regarded manufacturers of Anti-Theft luggage and this stylish backpack is one of their best.
- It has wire re-enforced exomesh slash guards in the body of the pack as well as in the straps themselves to prevent any slash and run type incidents.
- Smart Zipper Security so the zippers cant be opened behind your back.
- RFID Blocking pockets that also contains a clip you can attach to a wallet/purse
- Security hook so that you can secure the pack to static objects
- Deep main compartment has RFID blocking card and passport slots, open top wall pocket and a zippered wall pocket
- Front slash pocket holds a smartphone or sunglasses
- Front zippered pocket locks for added security
- Integrated USB Charging Port
- Hidden Zippers & Hidden Pockets
- Protective layers and a Cut-Resistant Protection board
- Includes compartments which hold a laptop up to 15.6" and a tablet up to 10" with a total content of 13L
- Water Repellent Fabric
Made of water-resistant material this beach bag has great anti-theft details listed below.
- RFID safe blocking pockets & material
- Carrysafe Slashguard Strap
- Roobar Deluxe Locking System: Patented top-level locking system that prevents pickpockets from easily opening the zippers.
- The Beach Bag includes wet/dry separation, external attachment points for small items such as bags and water bottles, and a D-ring with hooks to secure your wallet and keychain.
This stylish messenger bag is a very popular choice and with the added bonus of a water bottle holder.
- Cross-body bag in slash-proof construction featuring angled pocket flap, locking compartments, and silver-tone logo plaque at the corner
- RFID-blocking card and passport slots
- Mesh water bottle pocket at side
- Adjustable cut-proof cross-body strap
- When choosing travel padlocks always look for TSA Approved Locks. This means locks do not have to be cut open to facilitate random airport screenings.
- Opt for padlocks with combination locks as opposed to locks with keys. You won’t have to worry about lost keys and can reset combinations at any time.
- Bright coloured lockable luggage straps are not only perfect for the additional security of the contents of your bag but also make your bag easily identifiable. It not only ensures you collect the correct bag, but it also acts as an additional deterrent for bag thieves at the baggage carousel.
They are a great addition to your Anti Theft Travel Accessories list.
These combination locks are TSA approved and are very sturdy and reliable. Travelmore is so confident that these will stand the test of time that they offer a 100% lifetime guarantee, They are versatile too and can be used for a variety of purposes.
If you are a person that easily forgets a combination code then this TSA approved lock might just be the thing for you. You lock and unlock using a credit card-sized card. There is also a smaller card you can hang on your keyring for easy access.
These colourful luggage straps will help your cases stand out on that airport carousel or in the baggage reclaim hall when you depart the ship. They have the all-important TSA approved red diamond logo as well giving you some peace of minds that security can open the case safely should they need to.
In the super techno world, we now live in it's possible to keep track of your luggage yourself using dedicated electronic luggage trackers. They work in 2 main ways and usually mean downloading an app to your mobile device:
- GSM trackers use mobile towers to locate the device, so are not super accurate.
- GPS trackers are far more accurate but it depends on the software and tech involved.
GEGO tracks in real-time with coverage of 190 countries! Global tracing technology tracks your baggage, briefcase, suitcases, carry-on bags and purses much better than GPS. Using 3 systems (GSM 3G, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth), GEGO is more accurate and reliable than conventional GPS trackers.
Ring your things: Attach the tile to your luggage and then use your smartphone to make your Tile ring when you misplace your things within Bluetooth range (roughly 120m with Tile Pro).
Smart Tags for the Mobile Internet Age! On each tag, there is a specially encoded QR code and web address that is unique and belongs to YOU. This enables a dynotag to be easily readable by smartphones (scan the QR code) or any web browser on any computer by visiting the included unique web address. It's more useful or lost than stolen items but if anyone finds it they will be able to contact you easily.
Anti Theft Camera Bags & Straps
Cameras can be very expensive and not only that they often contain within them some of our most precious travel memories on SD Cards. It's always a good idea to download and back those up each day if you can. So keeping them safe is very important.
I can't stress often enough the importance of travel insurance should the very worst happen and your camera gets stolen or lost. A good idea is to keep a note of your equipments serial numbers. Handy if you ever have to complete a police report for insurance purposes or identify gear as yours if found by police.
Replace any branded camera straps with a plain anti-theft strap. That way it doesn't scream out 'expensive'. The same for camera bags.
Never leave a camera sitting alone on a table for example. Put it away or keep it tethered to yourself or the table/chair leg perhaps.
A stylish, lightweight, compact camera bag that fits a small to a mid-sized DSLR camera and an extra lens. It comes with a host of security features to keep your valuable camera and equipment safe.
- Lightweight, hidden eXomesh Slashguard stainless steel wire mesh embedded into front panel fabric helps protect against slash & run theft
- Adjustable wire-reinforced Carrysafe Slashguard strap helps prevent cut & run theft; Turn & Lock security hook attaches the strap to secure fixture
- Lock about Security Clip and smart zipper security provide multiple layers of protection and lockdown points for zippers to help prevent pickpockets
We love this stylish and lightweight camera backpack. It can be worn as a traditional backpack of in front of you that is especially comforting when in particularly busy and crowded areas. As you would expect from Pacsafe it comes with a whole host of safety features that include:
- Zippered top main compartment with internal organization, RFID blocking passport pocket, phone pocket and 2 SD card pockets-drawstring inner divider opens to transform into 1 large 10L compartment
- Rear secured zippered sleeve pocket add storage for your tablet and bottom pocket hold rain cover
- eXomesh slash guard is built into (and concealed) in the most commonly vulnerable areas of the bag, protecting your gear from a quick slash and run theft.
- Zipper pullers can be attached to discreet security hooks or placed under and through a hypalon tab to prevent pickpockets from reaching into your bag.
If you already have a camera bag you are happy with it might be worth changing just the strap to something that is more secure. This Anti-Theft camera strap from the people at Pacsafe will fit most bags with dual-sided attachments. The strap is wire-reinforced and padded for comfort.
Get Travel Insurance.
As stated above the best way to avoid becoming a victim of theft while you travel is to take practical precautions and always be vigilant. However, good travel insurance is a must. See our separate article on cruise travel insurance here.
If you do find yourself a victim of theft at least you know with travel insurance, you will be covered. Just always make sure you get a police report and keep any receipts for any out of pocket expenses incurred as a result of an incident while travelling. If your luggage is lost in transit there is some useful information in this article.
We can highly recommend Just Travel Cover for your travel Insurance Needs.
Some of the benefits of using them are:
- No age limit on single trip policies
- Annual policies and cruise cover available (additional benefits for cruises)
- They compare a range of insurers providing quality cover with high limits (these include AXA, AIG and specialist medical underwriters). We like to think of this as a mini comparison site offering high-quality travel insurance for people of any age and with any medical condition
- Specialists in pre-existing medical conditions
- Five star rated schemes/cover
- 24/7 English speaking assistance when overseas
- 95% of clients would recommend us having left a 4/5 star review.